Recipe originally posted on August 8th, 2012. Last updated August 16th, 2015.
On occasion I daydream about the most random things. Somtimes I take to daydreaming about owning a traveling food truck and venturing out across the United States. (I also suppose I have Sarah and Melissa to thank for starting me down this path as they both graciously offered up their driveways as parking spots for me). While the food truck isn’t really a reality (nor would I want to incur the cost of a traveling truck), it’s still fun to daydream.
I dream of crispy, wood-fire pizzas (this truck makes that possible), fresh spring rolls using ingredients from whatever state I happen to be in, delicious curries (because sometimes I crave curry), freshly baked cinnamon rolls (I need something not healthy) and tacos, like every day.
Even though I won’t have a food truck anytime soon so you can try these delicious vegetarian tacos first hand, I made you more tacos (because you can never have enough taco recipes.)
This time I just packed them full of cumin-spiced roasted vegetables and called them good. No grains, no beans, just summer veg goodness. Don’t freak out at the long ingredient list, it’s mainly because I used whatever I had in my kitchen. If you used zucchini and sweet corn you would still have one heck of a delicious taco.
Oh and let us not forget the avocado (really essential to any excellent vegetarian taco.)
Pairings for Vegetarian Tacos
While I recommend you can add beans to these tacos, I actually love to get my protein from the side dishes. I almost always have a rice/bean combo on the side and let the vegetables stand on their own. These summer vegetarian tacos are a good kitchen-sink recipe for when you don’t know what to make but have a bounty of produce.
Dessert: Horchata Ice Cream
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 ear sweet corn, removed from cob
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Avocado Cream:
- 1 ripe avocado
- ⅓ cup full fat, plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- Everything Else:
- Feta or Goat Cheese
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas
- Extra cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Prepare all the veggies as described and toss with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and cumin. Roast until tender and lightly browning, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While veggies are roasting, whip together avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice either by hand or in a blender.
- To assemble tacos, warm up tortillas over an open flame or on a heated griddle. Assemble with roasted veggies, avocado cream, and a sprinkle of feta.