This is more of an “idea” than a recipe, but in reality that’s what recipes are: ideas. Some ideas just happen to be more complicated than others.
This idea seems fancy, but is supremely simple. It’s one of our favorites for picnics, since it’s summery and light. The classic combination of cucumber and fresh dill is refreshing and it’s a cinch to put together, even right at the picnic site. We usually use cream cheese as the base, but you can use any spreadable soft cheese, even goat cheese.
We enjoyed this recipe on a picnic along with this lavender lemon spritzer and these mozzarella toasts by Shelly of Vegetarian Ventures. We’ll share the entire easy picnic menu from the day soon. Happy Summer!
- 1 baguette, crackers, or bite-sized toasts
- 1 cucumber
- 6 ounces cream cheese or other soft spreadable cheese
- Handful fresh dill
- Kosher salt
- If using a baguette, prepare the toasts in advance: Preheat oven to 350°F. Thinly slice the bread and place the slices on a baking sheet. Toast for about 10 minutes until crisp.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers.
- Spread the bread with cheese. Top each toast with a sliced cucumber, a tiny bit of kosher salt, and some fresh dill.