Tofu & Black Bean Tacos
It has been suggested to me on Instagram that I should blog more vegetarian recipes. I agree. So here’s a Vegetarian Tofu Taco recipe that is easy, healthy and quick.
A friend of mine sent me this spicy tofu taco recipe from Prevention Magazine’s e-newsletter – thanks Kate! :) I’ve added extra ingredients to the original recipe and I’ve tried it with either black beans or red kidney beans – both work well, but I prefer the red kidney beans.
The tofu & bean mixture is moderately spicy, depending on your tolerance, and this combined with a whole lot of fresh ingredients makes a tasty and healthy vegetarian taco – no taco kit seasoning packet required! Even Paul, who doesn’t usually like tofu or tacos, gives this the thumbs-up.
Which salad ingredients are your taco must-haves?
Tofu & Red Kidney Bean Tacos
Vegetarian Tofu Tacos
- 300g firm tofu, drained and dried between paper towel
- 300g black beans, pre-prepared if using dried OR a 400g tin red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced (crushed is fine too)
- 2 springs onions, sliced
- 3 tbs tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
Extras – whatever you like to eat with your tacos. My picks:
- Hard taco shells and/or and tortillas
- Cheese, grated
- Corn kernels
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Lettuce, chopped
- Fresh coriander
- Long red chilli, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Mash tofu, cayenne pepper, cumin and coriander in a bowl with a fork. Season with salt, to taste, and set aside.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat with a little oil. Add the garlic and half the spring onions to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the beans, tinned chopped tomatoes, and remaining spring onions, and cook until the beans are hot (about 3 minutes).
- Stir through the juice of half a lime. Serve with your favourite taco accompaniments.